You are sitting down all day, you’re doing the same thing day in day out, you are putting your heart into it but it takes everything out of you. Self development training courses will tell you that in order to avoid this overbearing burn out you need to become your own self coach. As odd as it may seem it self coaching is proven to be an effective, positive approach to avoiding exhaustion through work.
No matter how focused and devoted you are there will always be something to break that focus, pulling your energy right down. However, as self-development trainers will tell you self coaching is the way to prevent this. What you need to remember when self coaching is that you are not only the coach but you are the team also. Some of the tactics that are used by self-development trainers when self coaching can include;
- Get to Know Yourself. First what you need to do is to be realistic, no matter how many times you may tell yourself that you are the best I apologise but there will always be someone better than you. Yet what self-development trainers will also tell you is that no one will appreciate you any more than you appreciate yourself.
- Evaluate. You will need to recognise and evaluate your strengths and weaknesses. Once weaknesses are identified you should see these as speed bumps on your road to achieving your goals. Nevertheless you will overcome these bumps in time as you grow, change and develop throughout your work. Always give yourself an honest self appraisal which I know can be difficult at first but it will get better in time with practice.
- Incentives. As bad as it may sound your work space is like a second home to you. So use the space to put pictures up of treasured memories or family. This will give you the extra push to rise above your struggles. Put pictures of a personal or professional long-term goal. Plan days out with friends to have something to look forward to.
- Something New. Self development trainers stress that this does not mean change but may a slight altercation in your work day. Even changing your breakfast by eating fibre to give you energy for the morning. Turn on the radio. Even rise slightly earlier so that you are not starting off by the stress of rushing. A key to looking after yourself would be to drink plenty of water as water evaporates in your system through talking, so keep hydrated.
- Give Your Self a Break. Your sitting at you desk all day. This is not good for you. You need to get your circulation moving. If you are tired of the screen look out the window for a couple of minutes as you allow your eyes to relax. If your job requires consistent concentration play with something a slinky, a stress ball or a mindless computer game. Just do the opposite. On our self-development skills courses we would recommend that you take a quick break twice before lunch and twice after lunch.
The key to self-development is to always put things into perspective. Self development trainers will always advise that you remember that you did not get to where you are now by doing everything right in fact it was by learning through your mistakes. And have fun, tell your colleague a joke or send them a funny e-mail, furthermore when you do take a break talk about the things that you have done right that day not all the things that are going wrong.
To learn more on developing and improving your many skills that you already possess and skills that you want to possess then do not hesitate to check out our training courses to find all the information you need to develop you abilities beyond your expectations.