My father has always told me that the most important journey you take in life is meeting someone half way. Trainers in sales training courses constantly stress that the key to negotiating a sale is to remember that you are dealing with people face to face and not the company, therefore you know people so you will be able to work alongside them in a sale
Many people can find it totally intimidating when negotiating a sale. There are a few tricks however that you could develop that are used as tools on sales training courses, such as;
- Treat others with respect. Always remember the most commonly known rule of Christianity, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Remember that this is an opportunity for you to work together to gain a compromising sale that will suit all.
- Consider the others perspective. It is known in sales training courses that if this is not carried out then you will most likely settle for less than what you originally desired.
A major part of negotiating sales skills is to be prepared. You would not participate in a marathon untrained so why would you go head first into a negotiation unprepared. Then, there are golden rules that should be followed that are known in sales training courses in relation to preparation and these include;
- Know what you want to get out of it. In less than 25 words write what your goals are. What you will find is that what you write will not be what you want at all. It is all about trial and error before you begin your negotiation, not during it.
- Know what compromises you are willing to make.
- Recognise your alternatives. You managed until now to live without this product so maybe you can manage for another while without it however do consider what will happen if you do not accept the offer.
- Knowledge is power. You go into an exam prepared with all the information that is needed to get the results you desire. You need to do this for the negotiation. This is a major tool used in sales training courses in order for the person to know what the other company represent and to know what the subject matter is.
Other strategies that sales training courses would tell you to be aware of would be to be concise, get straight to the point, use less words, ensure your counterpart is listening, never assume and use simple questions.
Be sure to remain confident at all times however many trainers on sales training courses will tell you to never underestimate your opposition as they have received the same advice as you have. A key to their loyalty would also be to give them an incentive to keep them motivated and interested throughout.